King Scallops with Pea Puree, Black Pudding and Pancetta
12 large fresh King Scallops
1 black pudding boudin cut into 12 rounds
6 slices of pancetta (Italian bacon) - diced
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
500g bag of frozen peas
100ml vegetable stock
Ideal as a starter - giving 2 large King Scallops each
Recipe serves 6
1. To make the purée, heat the butter in a small saucepan and add the onions and garlic first. Sweat it over a very low heat for 5 mins, then pour over the stock and add the peas. Cover and gently simmer for 10-12 mins.
2. Take off the heat and use a hand blender or food processor to blitz the peas until smooth, then press through a sieve into another saucepan. Season to taste and set aside.
3. Place the pan back on the heat and gently fry the black pudding and pancetta for 2 mins each side, or until crisp and brown. Place in the oven at 180 whilst you cook off the scallops.
4. Have the scallopsto hand as you will need to work fast when cooking them. Clean out the frying pan and place it back on the heat with a drizzle more oil. When the oil starts to shimmer, carefully lay the scallops in the pan one at a time, like points on a clock face, starting at 6 o’clock, so you remember which one went in first.
5. Scallops take very little time to cook, so by the time the last one is in the pan, the first will be brown and ready to turn over. Flip all the scallops over and give them about 1 min more, then lift onto kitchen paper on a plate to drain the oil. With the pancetta and the purée still warm, you are now ready to plate up.
6. Spoon the warm puree down the middle of each plate. Set a round of black pudding either side and place a scallop on top of each. Place a piece of pancetta on each scallop and serve.
Recipe kindly supplied by our customer
Selkirk Arms Hotel
01557 330402 www.selkirkarmshotel.co.uk